Make your old roof look and perform like a new one for years to come.
Why should you renovate an old roof rather than replace it?
Over time the elements, pollution and environmental factors all take their toll on your roof. With the rapid expansion in Post-war house buildings, reliance on traditional slate declined in favour of cheaper, pre-cast concrete tiles. Often available in vibrant colours architects also favoured them as they complemented their bright, modern designs.
Unfortunately pigment and pre-cast technology was not as advanced as in today’s tiles and the vibrant colours faded the now familiar dull grey. In addition, quality varied and some tiles had a design life of only 25 years.
Today in extreme cases the tile surface breaks down, becoming porous. This acts like a sponge, retaining water and encouraging the growth of unsightly moss, green mould and liches. The retained moisture also increases load on the roof trusses and ultimately leaks to the inside walls, showing up as damp patches.
Many of these roofs have far exceeded their original life expectancy, underlining that they are basically a durable, reliable material even if they may look tired. In most cases, careful repair of structural defects followed by a application of antifungal roof colouring, this will restore the vibrant colours that were so appealing in the original tiles and re-seal them against the elements. This cost effective solution will save you thousands compared to stripping off old tiles and fitting a new roof.
Our Process comprises of the following six steps
- Clean the roof thoroughly of all moss, lichen and dirt.
- Inspection of the roof before applying any coatings.
- Replace any broken tiles, re-bed and re-point any ridges capping if necessary, leaving your roof structurally sound.
- Apply fungicide solution preventing further growth.
- Application of two protective waterproof topcoats leaving your roof as good as or even better than a new roof.
- We will apply a colour of your choice to leave a sparkling new appearance for many years.
What are the results like?
As you can see in the pictures on this page your old roof will look stunning with a “New Roof” appearance. Our service water proofs porous tiles. It reduces stress on roof structure and extends the rood life by at least 10 years. It resists moss and mould growth and improves gutter drainage.